CHAOSS Community Year 2021 in Review
3 December 2021
51 mins 34 secs
About this Episode
Hello and welcome to CHAOSScast Community podcast, where we share use cases and experiences with measuring open source community health. Elevating conversations about metrics, analytics, and software from the Community Health Analytics Open Source Software, or short CHAOSS Project, to wherever you like to listen. We are super excited for today’s episode because we are doing a “Year 2021 in Review” with our panel of representatives from the CHAOSS community from all around the world. Joining us today are Georg, Sean, Matt, Willem, Dawn, Nicole, Elizabeth, and Xiaoya. Our panelists tell us their favorite episodes from this year, we hear about new advances in software for CHAOSS Project, things that happened around metrics in CHAOSS, and DEI Badging for Events that was built out this year. Also, we learn more about conversations that happened from this year with metrics models, dependencies, and ethics guidelines. And finally, the panelists share with us where they want to see the CHAOSS Project going in 2022. Download this episode now to find out much more, and don’t forget to subscribe for free to this podcast on your favorite podcast app and share this podcast with your friends and colleagues!
[00:04:35] Find out which episodes are the panelists favorites.
[00:08:15] The CHAOSScast Podcast is headed to China and we hear more about it.
[00:11:31] Sean fills us in on interesting new advances in software for CHAOSS Project, and Georg tells us more about some things that happened in the Grimoire Lab Project.
[00:13:30] We move on to metrics and we hear what’s happened in the CHAOSS community around metrics this year.
[00:17:36] Nicole and Matt explain more about the Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Badging for Events that was built out over this last year.
[00:20:55] On the topic of DEI, CHAOSS community did some reflection over the past year and Matt tells us how it went.
[00:24:31] Georg highlights three conversations from this year which are metrics models, dependencies, and ethics guidelines. The panelists dive into metrics models and talk more about what they are and what CHAOSS is doing with them.
[00:28:59] Sean explains what they learned about the different types of dependencies that we have and the different ways that we can look at them through metrics.
[00:30:45] The third topic of ethics of data and metrics is discussed. Georg explains the data policy that was written this year that you find on their website and Matt and Elizabeth share some other things that have been going on with guidance to ethics in how people use metrics.
[00:34:45] Georg brings up the Pandemic and COVID, how they finally had their first in-person event this year, and the panelists chime in on how they think it went.
[00:37:10] We hear some closing thoughts from the panelists on where they want to see the CHAOSS Project going in 2022.
Value Adds (Picks) of the week:
- [00:44:06] Georg’s pick is taking seven weeks off and spending time with family.
- [00:44:39] Dawn’s pick is Elekto.
- [00:45:31] Sean’s pick is spending time with his Mother who will be visiting.
- [00:46:34] Elizabeth’s pick is a Reese’s pie size cup that Hershey’s released.
- [00:47:36] Nicole’s pick is the ClicBot programmable robot.
- [00:48:16] Xiaoya’s pick is the CHAOSScast China Podcast.
- [00:48:44] Willem’s pick is an article about “The social contract of open source.”
- [00:49:52] Matt’s pick is his Border Collie dog.
- Georg Link
- Sean Goggins
- Matt Germonprez
- Willem Jiang
- Dawn Foster
- Nicole Huesman
- Elizabeth Barron
- Xiaoya Xia
- CHAOSS Project Twitter
- CHAOSScast Podcast
- CHAOSScast Podcast-Episode 34: Anniversary Episode with Georg, Dawn, Matt, Sophia, Elizabeth
- CHAOSScast Podcast-Episode 37: The Orbit Model with Patrick Wood
- CHAOSScast Podcast-Episode 43: Growing the CHAOSS Community Globally-with Xiaoya, Willem, King, and Clement
- CHAOSScast Podcast-Episode 39: Leaderboards and Metrics at Drupal.org with Matthew Tift and Tim Lehnen
- CHAOSScast Podcast-Episode 45: Fireside Chat: Metrics Strategy with Daniel, Sean, and Venia
- CHAOSScast Podcast-Episode 38: Co.Lab and Increasing Diversity in STEM with Ruth Suehle
- CHAOSScast Podcast-Episode 44: GSOC: M.A.R.S. Project- Metrics Automated Release System with Yash and Ritik
- CHAOSScast Podcast-Episode 47: Writing the GrimoireLab Tutorial through the Summer of Open Source Promotion Plan with Veerasamy Sevagen
- CHAOSScast Project-Episode 27: GSOD with Xiaoya & Jaskirat
- DEI Badging for Events-GitHub
- REESE’S Pie
- The social contract of open source-Tall, Snarky Canadian
- Border Collie
- CHAOSScast China Podcast