Hello and welcome to CHAOSScast Community podcast, where we share use cases and experiences with measuring and improving open source community health. Elevating conversations about metrics, analytics, and software from the Community Health Analytics Open Source Software, or short CHAOSS Project, to wherever you like to listen.
Today, we are super excited to have four guests who are here to highlight work that is happening in the CHAOSS Project in the Asia Pacific Region. We have Xiaoya Xia, Willem Jiang, King Gao, and Clement Li joining us. Today, we learn each of them do with the CHAOSS Project in the Asia Pacific Region. Also, we find out how it got started and what’s bringing people in. They go in depth explaining the value that CHAOSS metrics provides and share stories about different metrics they found valuable in how they understand project health and how they’re using metrics. Download this episode now to find out much more, and don’t forget to subscribe for free to this podcast and share this podcast with your friends and colleagues.
[00:01:23] Xiaoya, Willem, King, and Clement introduce themselves, and what they do with the CHAOSS Project.
[00:06:43] Georg wonders how this Asian Pacific Community got started around the CHAOSS Project, what were the drivers, and what’s bringing people in.
[00:13:55] The guests talk more about the value that CHAOSS metrics provides and what CHAOSS needs to do to make it even more valuable to them or in their use case.
[00:16:28] Georg wonders at what stage does which metric come in and what does it actually tell us about how the software development is going.
[00:20:12] A few stories are shared by the guests about metrics they found valuable in how they understand project health and how they’re using metrics.
[00:23:43] Xiaoya talks about a research topic that was in her lab about Open-source governance and why her mentor encouraged her to learn more about metrics in CHAOSS, and she mentions the GitHub Insight Report she posted on the blog posts. She also talks about the first working group she participated with most and where she learned what a community is.
[00:25:35] King shares his experience with metrics and the CHAOSS Community.
[00:27:37] Find out where you follow and connect with each of our guests on the internet.
Adds (Picks) of the week:
- [00:30:20] Georg’s pick is a new bed.
- [00:30:36] Xiaoya’s picks are good luck with her paper, to slow down, and her proposal for CHAOSScon got accepted.
- [00:31:36] Willem’s picks are ApacheCon Asia 2021 and a book called From the Soil.
- [00:32:46] King’s pick is everyone helping him to improve his English to communicate better.
- [00:33:32] Clement’s pick is the release of the community AI robot in September.
- Georg Link
- Xiaoya Xia
- King Gao
- Clement Li
- Willem Jiang
- CHAOSS Project Twitter
- CHAOSScast Podcast
- Huawei Joins The Governing Board Of The OpenChain Project
- CHAOSScast podcast-Episode 27-GSOD with Xiaoya & Jaskirat
- CHAOSS Shanghai Meetup-2020
- Add new metrics for Mapping between PR/MRs and issues #382 wg evolution
- Add new Metrics about branch lifecycle #368 wg evolution
- CHAOSS Community Blog Post-Check Out The GitHub 2020 Digital Insight Report! By Xiaoya
- CHAOSSCon 2021
- ApacheCon Asia 2021
- From the Soil by Xiaotong Fei
- Xiaoya Xia Twitter
- King Gao GitHub
- King Gao Linkedin
- Clement Li Facebook
- Clement Li Twitter
- Clement Li Linkedin
- Willem Jiang’s Blog
- Willem Jiang Twitter
- Willem Jiang Linkedin
- WeChat-xiaoyaesther (Xiaoya)
- WeChat-xiaokun774780 (King Gao)
- WeChat-ALC Beijing