The CHAOSS Newcomer Slack Bot and She-Code-Africa with Precious and Iyimide
14 October 2022
35 mins 29 secs
About this Episode
Hello and welcome to CHAOSScast Community podcast, where we share use cases and experiences with measuring open source community health. Elevating conversations about metrics, analytics, and software from the Community Health Analytics Open Source Software, or short CHAOSS Project, to wherever you like to listen. Today, we are excited to be joined by two guests, Iyimide Adegunloye (Mide) and Precious Abubakar, who participated in the She Code Africa Program. We invited them to talk about the program and share what they’ve done, as well as discussing bots and the welcoming of newcomers. Download this episode now to find out much more, and don’t forget to subscribe for free to this podcast on your favorite podcast app and share this podcast with your friends and colleagues!
[00:02:55] Mide and Precious give us a brief introduction about themselves.
[00:04:20] We find out the details on the She Code Africa Program, their experience with getting into She Code Africa, how they found CHAOSS, and how they decided to engage with the CHAOSS Project.
[00:08:54] We learn how the idea of the bot came about and the design process.
[00:13:26] There’s a discussion about the kinds of challenges they faced in creating the bot and what they learned in the process.
[00:16:34] Georg wonders how the response has been in the community since the bot was implemented.
[00:19:14] Mide explains more about the use of the bot at She Code Africa.
[00:20:22] Precious and Ruth fill us in where they think the project will go next and share some ideas for the future.
[00:21:50] If you would like to get involved, find out where you can connect to get started.
[00:23:34] Mide and Precious share how the mentorship helped them understand CHAOSS. We also hear from the mentors what they’ve learned in this program or if they’ve learned to appreciate CHAOSS in a different way.
Value Adds (Picks) of the week:
- [00:28:44] Georg’s pick is learning sometimes an upgrade saves you money.
- [00:30:22] Ruth’s pick is her Personal Assistant, Olamide Makinde.
- [00:30:54] Elizabeth’s pick is a northern walkingstick insect.
- [00:32:15] Precious’s pick is Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA).
- [00:33:07] Mide’s pick is leading a children’s and adult coding bootcamp.
- [00:34:00] Matt’s pick is enjoying his first month living in Oregon.
- [00:34:34] Sean’s pick is to try to get to Wisconsin in the Fall.
- Georg Link
- Elizabeth Barron
- Sean Goggins
- Matt Cantu Snell
- Ruth Ikegah
- Precious Abubakar
- Iyimide Adegunloye
- CHAOSS Project Twitter
- CHAOSScast Podcast
- Ford Foundation
- Georg Link Twitter
- Sean Goggins Twitter
- Elizabeth Barron Twitter
- Matt Cantu Snell LinkedIn
- Ruth Ikegah Twitter
- Precious Abubakar Twitter
- Precious Abubakar LinkedIn
- Precious Abubakar Website
- Iyimide Adegunloye Twitter
- Iyimide Adegunloye LinkedIn
- Iyimide Adegunloye Website
- She Code Africa
- She Code Africa Contributhon
- CHAOSS Slack Bot-GitHub
- Common walkingstick
- Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA)