Policy for Open Source in Amsterdam with Maurice Hendriks
2 September 2022
37 mins 38 secs
About this Episode
Hello and welcome to CHAOSScast Community podcast, where we share use cases and experiences with measuring open source community health. Elevating conversations about metrics, analytics, and software from the Community Health Analytics Open Source Software, or short CHAOSS Project, to wherever you like to listen. We are super excited to have joining us, Maurice Hendriks, who works for the Municipality of Amsterdam as a policy maker, specifically on the topic of Open Source. He’s here to share his journey into open source and to talk more about his views on open source. Download this episode now to find out much more, and don’t forget to subscribe for free to this podcast on your favorite podcast app and share this podcast with your friends and colleagues!
[00:01:56] Maurice shares his journey into open source and how he got into the field.
[00:05:23] Sean wonders if misunderstandings affect the work that Maurice is trying to accomplish, and Maurice talks about the laws in Netherlands and how open source is essential for the morality of the city.
[00:09:36] From the government perspective Maurice talked about, he explains different perspectives on what a healthy open source project or community is.
[00:12:24] Are these other governments, other municipalities in Netherlands that are using the open source software, built in Amsterdam?
[00:17:28] Maurice explains how policy would potentially influence this social system.
[00:21:16] We find out the difference between open sourcing something and having something publicly available.
[00:23:39] What bothers Maurice as a policy maker?
[00:26:15] Sean brings up a point about if software is a social good open sourcing, there needs to be a way for that to be sustainable so it’s not just Maurice that’s maintaining a particular project, and he wonders how Maurice balances that.
[00:29:08] We hear the main lesson people should get from Maurice’s vision.
[00:30:05] Find out where you can follow Maurice’s and his work online.
Value Adds (Picks) of the week:
- [00:32:53] Georg’s pick is taking a family trip to Europe.
- [00:33:30] Sean’s pick is witnessing the number of people in this country who are actively engaged in fixing the problems with the recent rulings by our Supreme Court.
- [00:34:05] Maurice’s pick is his wife finishing her book, Akal-About life in the Dutch East Indies_ _by Lilja Anna Perdijk.
- Georg Link
- Sean Goggins
- Maurice Hendriks
- [00:04:27] “If there is no power, there is no software.”
- [00:07:11] “My mission is to use open source software to get transparency into Government information and technology.”
- [00:29:08] “The main lesson from my vision: Community built software is the cherry on the cake. You first need to get layers and components in place or you don’t get a cake at all.”
- CHAOSS Project Twitter
- CHAOSScast Podcast
- Ford Foundation
- Georg Link Twitter
- Sean Goggins Twitter
- The Universal Permissive License (UPL), Version 1.0 (Open Source Initiative)
- European Union Public License, Version 1.2 (EUPL-1.2)
- Akal-Overleven in Nederlands-Indië (Dutch)
- Akal-About life in the Dutch East Indies (English)